- From the driver’s seat ensure that the parking brake is applied and that the gear level is in neutral (or in P or N for automatic vehicles).
- Check for obstructions inside the vehicle.
- Check for warning lights and gauges, where applicable.
- Adjust the seat to the correct position for driving and ensure that the mirrors are set for maximum rear-view vision (set them if not).
- Turn the ignition key to the on position without starting the engine.
- Check the operation of any electric windows.
- Check all the instruments on the instrument panel. Mention any changes.
- Check the operation of the front and rear lights, indicators, horn and wipers.
- Switch the ignition off and return all switches to the off position.
- Check the steering for excessive free-play.
- Check the pressure on the brake and clutch pedals.
- Return the wipers to the normal position.
- Check that all the doors are properly closed and that passengers know how to operate them.
- Fasten your seat belt and request any passengers to fasten theirs.
- Ensure that the passengers know how to operate the seat belt release mechanism.