- 1The Motorcycle Test
- 1.1Purpose of the Test
- 1.2Immediate Failures
- 1.3Layout of the Testing Area
- 2The Yard Test Manoeuvres
- 2.1 Starting Procedure
- 2.2 Stopping the Engine
- 2.3 Moving Off Procedure
- 2.4 Speed Management and Control
- 2.5 Moving off and Turning Left
- 2.6 Lane Changing to the Right
- 2.7 Incline Start
- 3The Riding Test Manoeuvres
- 3.1 Moving Off Procedure
- 3.2 Turning Speed Judgement
- 3.3 Emergency Swerve
- 3.4 Emergency Stopping
- 3.5 Stopping
The Motorcycle Yard Test
Learn about the Yard Test for the Motorcycle. The whole of the South African Motorcycle Driver’s Licence Test is conducted in the yard at the Driving Licence Testing Centre.
The Motorcycle Test
Purpose of the Test
This is a practical test to determine the ability of motorcycle riders. The full test consists of a yard test, which includes a pre-trip inspection, a starting procedure and a skill test. The test is a measure of the motorcycle rider’s ability in respect of the handling of a motorcycle, obedience to traffic rules and the use of the system of vehicle control. The test is not conducted on the road or in traffic – it is done in the yard at the driving licence testing centre. You are required to obey all traffic laws as if you were on the road however.
The testing officer will be examining how capable you are at controlling the motorcycle, obeying rules of the road and observing your surroundings.
- Failing to wear a functioning safety helmet
- Allowing your motorcycle to roll (backwards OR forwards)
- Violating any rules of the road, road signs, or road markings
- Using a motorcycle that does not have a licence
- Falling off of the motorcycle or allowing it to fall
- Accumulating more than 50 penalty points during the yard test
- Touching a boundary line
- Performing a dangerous action
You get only one attempt for the following: Turning left, moving off, and lane change to the right.
You get three attempts for the following: Speed control.
You do not get these attempts if you perform any action that disqualifies you immediately.
Layout of the Testing Area
Once you have completed the pre-trip inspection, the practical riding part of the test will begin.